Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Live in the vision of your business


There is an unending sense of urgency related to getting a startup off the ground.  Lately it seems that all I ever do is work or think about working on either keeping up with investor documentation, evaluating pivot opportunities or marketing in general.  Getting the business off the ground with our first saleable product is grueling.  It isn’t just the intellectual brain power that is exhausted but also the emotional and psychological energy of keeping a thick skin to endure the sometimes unsolicited criticism and of course the word “no”.

Needless to say I am tired- really tired.  

I repeat the words from our executive advisor, Scott Creighton in my mind when I get burned out.  “Keep living in the vision of your business.”  And its true, when you get stuck with the frustration of today, you are going to give up or go crazy.  By living in the vision, you can see the progress you are making towards it and you actually feel like you are doing what you are meant to be doing.  

The next think I need to do is let loose a little.  So this 4th of July we are taking a mini vacation with the family to Key Largo.  We are staying at a dive but beat up beach cottages can be such a paradise. I’m looking forward to kayaking on the bay, snorkeling at the reefs and grilling burgers in the evening.  This is much needed as we have sacrificed quite a bit of quality time with the kids for Bimotics.  I may squeeze in a business book while I’m there, but in general I’m going to put an effort into recharging and reconnecting with the other things that matter in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment